The following items were taken from the May 15 through 21, 1960, and 1910, Examiner.
The following items were taken from the May 15 through 21, 1960, Examiner.
Blevins Davis, former owner of Glendale Farms, vacated the mansion, located on the approximately 400-acre property, giving possession to a local homes developer, C.W. Jones. According to Ralph Jones, attorney for the City Investment Co. of New York City, which gained title to the property by foreclosing a mortgage.
Girl Scout Troop 356 welcomed their parents and friends to a luau at Trinity Presbyterian Church. Members of the troop, all sixth graders at Alton School, are: Susanne Boetjer, Teresa Carpenter, Cathy Criger, Marsha Ellsworth, Mary Esler, Diane Feiser, Pamela Hill, Barbara Jones, Sherry Lewis, Alice Massie, Marilyn Morales, Carol Nieweg, Joanne Poloney, Ginny Slusher, Marcia Shutt, Sherrie Soper, Janice Sparks, Susan Staley, Vicki Whitnell and Linda Windle.
Four Independence public school teachers will end their teaching careers on May 27. They are: Mrs. Elizabeth Aiken Berry, history teacher at Chrisman Division II; Mrs. Eugenia Shull, Junior High math teacher; Mrs. Grace Schulenberg, Bryant fifth grade teacher; and Mrs. Lida Budd Robertson, Bryant first grade teacher.
The Independence Junior Chamber of Commerce named Earl Winn Jr. president. Other officers elected are: David Mathany, first vice president; Jim Stevenson, second vice president; Kenneth Taylor, third vice president; Dick Pinson, secretary; and Carlton Milby, treasurer. John Dennis and Jim Walkinshaw were elected state directors. Jim Carter, Dr. Harry Jonas, Don Hirner, Bill Marcott, Mel Moeller and Jerry Darigo were elected local directors. Retiring President Bill Coil conducted the meeting.
The following items were taken from the May 15 through 21, 1910, Examiner.
“We, the jury find the defendant guilty and assess his punishment at life imprisonment in the state penitentiary,” announced Frank Claypool, foreman. This is the verdict returned by the jury which heard the evidence for and against Dr. B. Clark Hyde, charged with murdering by poison Col. Thomas H. Swope.
A new organization called the “Loyal Temperance Legion” has been effected among the children of the various churches of this city. The organization was perfected at the First Baptist church on Sunday. These officers were elected: Superintendent, Mrs. Richard Wright; president, Cecil Millard; secretary, Calvin Atkins. The organization is intended to inculcate temperance teachings and practices among the children.
The White-Smith Garage company has sold and delivered a new five-passenger Overland car with all attachments to Thomas Blackwell of Lee’s Summit. This makes sixteen cars this company has sold within a year. The Allen Motor Car Company has sold to Dr. Elmer Twyman an “E.M.F. 30,” and a Flanders 20 to Dr. Greene and Wesley Clements.
After suffering greatly for several days and going through numerous convulsions, John Morgan Linson Jr., four-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Linson, died at their home. Ten days ago, the little boy was climbing through a wire fence. In doing so, he scratched one of his feet on a rusty barb. Tuesday night convulsions began and his death was due to lock jaw.