Officer's report cites "suspicious circumstances," says Heacock failed field sobriety test.

A Lee’s Summit police officer stopped Independence City Manager Robert Heacock early Tuesday morning after he observed “suspicous circumstances,” according probable cause statement.  

The statement, obtained by The Examiner Wednesday, also says that Heacock admitted to the officer that he had consumed at least “two or three beers, a shot of Southern Comfort and one shot of Jagermeister,” in the hours before he was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.  

Heacock was charged Tuesday by the Lee’s Summit Police Department with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated after leaving a bar in downtown Lee’s Summit. He was released after posting a $300 bond.

According to a police report provided by the Lee’s Summit Police Department, Heacock told the officer during an interview after Heacock’s arrest that he did not feel as though he was under the influence of an alcoholic beverage at the time he left The Peanut bar in Lee’s Summit. Heacock told the arresting officer he had been at The Peanut, 219 Southeast Main St., from 8 p.m. Monday night to 12:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, according to the police report.

Heacock earlier in the evening attended a City Council study session, which ended around 7 p.m.

According to the arresting officer, during routine patrol, the officer observed a black Lincoln LS reverse from a parking lot adjacent to The Peanut about 1:30 a.m. At the time the arresting officer noticed a front seat passenger in the vehicle, the police report states. The officer then observed the vehicle as it traveled into an alley and parked in the west lot of the Colony Professional Center at 200 Southeast Douglas Road.

The officer observed the vehicle park and watched as the driver - later identified as Heacock - exit the driver’s seat to remove frost from the vehicle’s windshield. According to the police report, at approximately 1:44 a.m. the officer returned to the alley and observed the black Lincoln LS with its headlights off still in Colony Center’s parking lot, with the motor running. As the officer approached the vehicle, the police report states the officer noticed the driver’s seat was still occupied, but could not see the person that had previously occupied the passenger seat.

Due to suspicious circumstances, the officer states in the report, he approached the Lincoln to investigate. The arresting officer states in the report he observed the duo replace items of clothing that had been shed before he approached the Lincoln on foot.

According to the police report, the officer met the driver at the driver’s side and immediately noticed that the driver’s trousers were lowered to mid-thigh. The driver repeatedly apologized for the indecency of the situation and suggested that if the officer would overlook his lewd behavior, the driver would drive directly home without further incident, the report states. 

While speaking with Heacock, the officer detected a strong oder of an alcoholic beverage and noticed that Heacock’s eyes were bloodshot and glassy.

According to the police report, the officer ordered Heacock to perform a series of field sobriety tests, which according to the police report, Heacock failed. Based on the circumstances, the officer states in the report, Heacock was placed under arrest for driving while intoxicated. The report said Heacock’s driver’s license was confiscated, and revoked.

Heacock’s court date has been set for March 12.

Heacock declined to comment further on the incident Wednesday afternoon. He did issue a statement to The Examiner Tuesday.

“I do acknowledge that regardless of the outcome, this incident reflects poorly on the community and organization to which I have dedicated the last 10 years of service. For that, I offer my deepest and most sincere apologies,” he said.

Reached for comment Wednesday, Independence Mayor Don Reimal read from the following statement: “All the members of the (City) Council have been made aware of the circumstances that Robert finds himself. Given the nature of the matter, the city will continue to monitor the situation and no additional comment will be made until after this matter is concluded.”