The following items were taken from the April 20 through 26, 1963, Examiner.
The following items were taken from the April 20 through 26, 1963, Examiner.Two Boy Scout leaders of the Wagon Wheel District will receive one-week scholarships to Philmont Scout Ranch, Cimmaron, N.M. They are David Cavin, a pharmaceutical salesman of Blue Springs, and Loren E. McConnell, a teacher at Palmer Junior High School. Josef Kessler, Scout executive for the district, made the announcement. Gene Turrentine, whose hobby is repairing clocks, found pages cut from the Missouri Gazette July 26, 1808, in a clock he was working on. Discernible on the mutilated pages are items about “Louisiana Territory,” the name of which Missouri was known before it became a state. James M. Ramsey is one of the sons and daughters of Ford Motor Co. employees who have been selected as recipients of 1963 Ford Fund scholarships. James is the son of son of Mrs. Theodora Ramsey of Independence, who is employed in the controllers office at the Ford Kansas City Assembly Plant. James is the fifth Independence winner of the scholarship. n Independence Jaycees presented young trees to students as an Arbor Day project, and a crew of youngsters is ready to learn good habits of conservation. The sixth graders at Noland School receiving trees were Debbie Rodman, Suzie Adams, Mike Morris and John Komm. Don Milstead, a Jaysee, delivered the trees. The pre-Civil War colonial structure at 126 S. Pleasant St., which the First Christian Church has owned since 1961, will be razed to provide parking for the church. A letter from Howard Adams, chairman of the Jackson County Historical Sites Committee, said “the loss of this house is only one more step towards making Independence another sterile, colorless metropolitan section.”
– Jillayne Ritchie