What's Happening sports bulletin board for March 28
Items for What’s Happening must be received by noon Thursday before publication. Send information to Karl Zinke, sports editor, including daytime telephone number, to What’s Happening, Sports Dept., The Examiner, P.O. Box 459, Independence, Mo. 64051, fax it to 816-254-0211 or send by e-mail (email@example.com). Please include deadline or date notice should be taken out and please indicate what sport the announcement should be listed under. Dates are subject to change. Examiner is not responsible for tryouts. Please contact people listed for detailed information. The Examiner reserves the right to edit for length and content and remove any listings.
* – indicates new item
* • Tryouts, Blue Springs, 12U AA Shockers competitive team, last chance, seeking to fill one roster spot for 2009. Playing 5-6 tournaments. For tryout arrangements, please call Steve Hellon at 816-509-9353.
* • Willie Wilson Baseball Clinic, 1-5 p.m. May 17 at the Raytown Sports Complex. The Royals Hall of Famer will conduct a one-day clinic for ages 7-14. Additional instructors will be Royals Hall of Famers Frank White and Dennis Leonard and Chicago Cubs Gold Glove outfielder Bob Dernier. Cost is $30 per person and includes a clinic T-shirt. To register or for more information, visit the Web site www.rsayouthbaseball.com or call 816-737-2140.
* • SportsCity T-ball League begins in May. For ages 3-5 to learn the basics of the game at SportsCity in Blue Springs. No scores kept and everyone plays. “Meet the Team” day is May 16 and the first game is May 30. There is a half-hour practice before each weekly game followed by a game for approximately one hour. Games are usually in the morning with the start time depending on the number of teams. SportsCity provides all equipment except gloves which are optional. Deadline to register is May 2. For more information or to register, visit the Web site www.sportscitykc.com or call SportsCity at 816-229-1314.
• Blue Springs Parks and Recreation/Blue Springs Little League Pepsi Pitch, Hit & Run Contest, April 5 at the American Legion Fields (275 Brizendine) in Blue Springs. Registration begins at 12:30 p.m. and contest begins at 1 p.m. Rain date will be 1 p.m. April 26. Boys and girls ages 7-14 eligible and there is no cost. For more information or to register, visit online at www.bluespringsgov.com, visit City Hall at 903 W. Main Street or call 816-228-0137.
• Tryouts, summer high school team seeking 1-2 players. Wood bat league, tournaments, state and possible world series at end of year. Call Mark at 816-719-5450 for more information.
• Tryouts, Independence Nationals, 13UAA team needing 1-2 players to fill out roster for upcoming season. Playing league, state and 5-7 tournaments. Call Dan at 816-589-2361 or Shawn at 816-721-9894.
• Tryouts, Blue Chip Talent Angels, 12U AA/AAA team, seeking 1-2 quality players to fill roster. NBL league and 9-10 tournaments, including state and world series. Pitchers and utility players a plus. Contact Blue Chip Talent at GoBlueChips@gmail.com or call 816-616-7297 for an appointment.
• Tryouts, Fort Osage Cardinals 12U AA team seeking few players to complete 2009 roster. Must be willing to play tournaments as well as regular league games. Please contact Matthew at 816-651-1832 or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Tryouts, 16U competitive baseball team. Team will play 6-7 tournaments and state. Seeking one pitcher and one catcher. For Saturday tryouts and details, call T.J. Watreas at 913-238-0117.
• Prevention of Shoulder Injury Youth Pitching Research Study participants needed (ages 12-18). Study will track and measure pitch counts and the range of motion in throwing and non-throwing arm over time. Stretching and exercise programs will be used to determine improvements in shoulder stiffness. Participants will receive at least monthly range of motion measurements, video analysis using Dartfish Video Software (every 2 months), exercise band(s), monthly 45-minute pitching lesson, and a monthly e-mail newsletter on preventing pitching injuries. Fee is $30 per month. Contact Russ Barker, Kansas City Youth Pitching Academy, at 816-517-1828 or email@example.com.
• Tryouts, Blue Springs Tornadoes, 12U AA, seeking a few competitive players for 2009. Playing spring 2009 competitive league and 5-6 tournaments. Call for Saturday or Sunday tryout details. Contact Roger Brock 816-809-7707 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Lee’s Summit Hornets, 11U AA/AAA competitive team (2nd place in 10U AA World Series in 2008) seeking 1-2 talented and experienced players to complete 2009 roster. Team plays league and approximately 10 tournaments in 2009, including state and world series. Must not turn 12 before May 1. Contact Ed Derks at 816-564-6447 or email@example.com, or Mark Benkovich at 816-997-3529 or firstname.lastname@example.org for tryout information.
• Team wanted for 9-year-old infielder/pitcher (1 year kid pitch experience). Contact Carl Blando at 816-786-7070.
• Ongoing: Kiwanis Baseball League, for 15-16-year-old teams, is a composite wood bat league. League games to be played at Crysler, IAC and Fort Osage. League is seeking experienced scorekeepers. For more information contact John Curtis at 816-795-6503 or email@example.com.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Officials Association seeking umpires. Contact Rob Michael at 816-224-4621, 816-918-6066 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ongoing: Fort Osage Indians Athletic Association looking for experienced umpires for summer league. Contact Josh Mitchem at 816-985-9878.
• Ongoing: Fort Osage Indians Athletic Association USSSA sanctioned baseball league for full teams and individual players ages 4-14. For more information, visit the Web site (www.fortosagebaseball.com).
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Little League. For more information go to Web site (bluespringsbaseball.org).
• Ongoing: Queen City Baseball Association. For more information, call the Queen City office at 816-796-4003, visit the Web site (www.eteamz.com/qcba/) or send e-mail to: Queencitybball@aol.com.
• Ongoing: Tri-City Baseball League. For more information, visit the Web site (www.tri-city.org) or call Donna Schroer at Tri-City at 816-795-1088, ext. 320.
• Ongoing: Ban Johnson Amateur League, 816-383-7765.
* • Supreme Sports Spring Basketball Academy begins the week of April 6 at Supreme Athletic Complex in Independence. Boys and girls in grades 3-8 receive fundamental instruction 5:30-6:30 p.m. and will play in academy league 6:30-7:30 p.m. Grades 3-5 meet on Monday nights for seven weeks beginning April 6. Grades 6-8 meet on Tuesday nights for seven weeks beginning April 7. Cost is $125 per person. Deadline to register is April 4. Register online at www.supremesportskc.com. For more information, contact Jeff Bass at 816-257-7339 or email@example.com.
• Blue Springs Basketball Tournament, April 3-5 at Brittany Hill Middle School in Blue Springs. Girls and boys teams in grades 4-12 eligible. Entry fee is $175 with a three-game guarantee. Deadline has passed; call for availability. Contact Dallas Truex at DTruex@bssd.net or 816-224-1700 ext. 306 or Scott Doolin at 816-224-1700 ext. 305.
• Tryouts, Saints Athletic Club, a competitive Christian-based basketball club team, looking for boys in grades 4-8. Players participate in league and tournament play. For more information go to www.SaintsAthleticClub.com or contact Dalton Vann at 816-401-5245 or daltonvann@Ballin4Christ.com.
• Roos Spring Slam USSSA Youth Basketball Tournament, April 17-19, at University of Missouri-Kansas City Swinney Center (5100 Rockhill Road). Boys and girls teams in grades 4 through JV. Entry fee is $185 entry (includes 1 Year USSSA registration/benefits for non-USSSA teams) and there is a three-game guarantee. Deadline to enter is April 10. To Register or for information, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Dave at 816-405-8215.
• The Missouri Magic sponsoring a trip for potential college basketball players to the Big D Shootout in Dallas, and the Desert Duel Shootout in Phoenix from July 21-29. Two teams each at 16U and 17U will be developed through tryouts in March. Players interested in high-end exposure level team should contact Missouri Magic Director Mark McLaughlin at 660-726-4370 or e-mail email@example.com. Tryouts will be March 22 in Bethany, Mo., to make up the teams. Airfare, transportation, accomodations, pre-event and post-program evaluation and promotion of players will be included in this package.
• Tryouts, Missouri Magic Elite travel basketball program will be sponsoring a week-long trip to Lahaina, Hawaii, for the Maui Summer Classic basketball tournament, July 12-20. Two teams from Missouri, Iowa and Nebraska are being formed for this program, intended for high school juniors and seniors. Cost of the program includes entry fees, uniforms, round-trip airfare, accomodations and ground transportation. Players interested in this travel program should contact Missouri Magic director Mark McLaughlin at 660-726-4370 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for an information packet. The first 20 players to commit to this program will comprise the team.
• Branson USSSA Youth State/National Qualifier Basketball Tournament, May 8-10, at Branson RecPlex and Branson area high schools. Boys and girls teams in grades 4 through junior varsity. Cost is $225 per team with four-game guarantee and includes one-year USSSA registration and benefits for non-USSSA teams. Deadline to register is May 1. To register or for more information, visit online at www.usssa.com/sports, send e-mail to email@example.com or call Dave at 816-405-8215.
• KC Summer Opener USSSA Youth State/National Qualifier Basketball Tournament, May 29-31, at Shawnee Mission South, Shawnee Mission North and Horizon high schools in Kansas. Boys and girls teams in grades 4 through junior varsity. Cost is $225 per team with four-game guarantee and includes one-year USSSA registration and benefits for non-USSSA teams. Deadline to register is May 22. To register or for more information, visit online at www.usssa.com/sports, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Dave at 816-405-8215.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Athletic Association Basketball League. For more information contact, Steve Hyde at 816-228-4994 or visit bsaabasketball.com.
• Ongoing: AAU basketball. For more information, write to the Missouri Valley AAU, 1815 South York, Independence, Mo. 64058 or call 816-796-8605.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs BMX at Pink Hill Park in Blue Springs. For more information, call the Track Hot Line at 816-392-9901 or visit bluespringsbmx.com.
• Ongoing: Pop Warner football, ages 5-14 are eligible. For more information, call Steve Bowen at 816-373-4511 or 816-550-2221 or e-mail to SSKC88@aol.com.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Pop Warner football, for ages 5-15. Flag football is for ages 5-8; tackle football is ages 8-15. For more information, call Leonard Fields at 816-373-3298 or Marc Busker 816-224-7991.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Athletic Association football leagues. For information, call the BSAA Hotline at 224-4639, ext. 3012.
• Ongoing: Grain Valley Athletic Association youth football leagues. Flag (grades K-2) and tackle (grades 3-7) are available. For more information, visit the Web site at www.gvaasports.org.
• Drumm Farm Golf Club in Independence will offer Family, Fun and Fitness evenings every Sunday from April 5 through October. Program consists of a free rules, etiquette and golf clinic 4-4:30 p.m., 9 holes on the executive course with golf cart, snacks after the round starting at 5:30 p.m., and fun hole contests each week with prizes. The program is designed to cater to beginning players and families to encourage the growth of the game. Cost will be $20 per player or $50 per foursome. For more information, call 816-350-9900.
• Independence Horseshoe Club leagues run April through August. For more information, contact club president Alvin Gwinn at 816-461-1746 or league director David Thompson at 816-516-2508.
• Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation Disc Golf Leagues begin June 1. Matches will be played at the new 18-hole disc golf course at Legacy Park. For more information or to register, visit www.lsparks.net or contact Lee’s Summit Parks & Recreation at 816-969-1500.
• Second Annual “Knock Out or Drag Out” Dodgeball Classic tournament, 4-8 p.m. March 28 at SportsCity in Blue Springs. Two divisions: adult/high school and middle school. Cost is $10 per person and each participant will receive a goody bag and entry into prize drawings. Teams consist of 6-10 players and may be all-male, all-female, or coed. Proceeds will benefit the BSHS Soccer Alumni Scholarship fund. Go to bshssocceralumni.org for a registration packet.
• Ongoing: YMCA youth sports (preschool children through ninth grade) offered are baseball, soccer, basketball, golf and tennis. Swim lessons for youths and adults are also offered. For more information, contact the Blue Springs YMCA (224-9620), Independence YMCA (254-9622) or the Raytown YMCA (356-9622).
• Ongoing: Kansas City Gaelic Atheltic Club. Gaelic football squad trains and scrimmages at 11 a.m. every Sunday at the Wizards practice facility in Swope Park (63rd and Lewis Road). For more information or the blog, visit the KCGAC Web sit at http://kansascity.missouri.gaa.ie/index.html or http://kcgac.blogspot.com.
• Ongoing: Kansas City Blues Rugby team. Practices are open to experienced and new players. For more information, call the Blues hotline at 816-960-1281 or visit the Web site (www.kcblues.org).
• Ongoing: Missouri State Senior Games: Call the MSSG office at (573) 882-1462 or go online (www.smsg.org/senior_games).
• Ongoing: Raytown Bass Club is seeking new members. For more information, call Dennis Mitchell at 913-787-5810, Neil Parikh at 816-506-0611 or visit the www.raytownbassclub.net Web site.
• Ongoing: Independence YMCA racquetball leagues. For more information, call the YMCA at 816-254-9622.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Running Club, contact Terry Hickam at 816-229-6779.
• Ongoing: Free Sunday runs offered at Garry Gribbles Running Sports. Check Web site at garrygribbles.com for directions and starting times. For more information, call 816-373-1100.
• Ongoing: The Brocaw Blazers youth cross country team. For further information, visit the Web site at www.brocawblazers.org or call coach David Ramsey at 816-365-7938.
Soap Box Derby
• Kansas City Soap Box Derby Racing will hold a construction/driving clinic at 6 p.m. April 4 at the KC Soap Box Derby Track at 4600 Eastern Ave. in Kansas City, Mo. (call Jon Edwards at 913-634-1221 in case of inclement weather). New participants ages 7-16 need to contact one of the officers listed below before the clinic dates and must have a car construction kit. A limited number of used cars may be available for reconstruction. Clinics will include free construction advice from experts, construction assistance, tuning tips, a new rule review and snacks and drinks. Information on Soap Box Derby racing also will be available at the Greater KC Home Flower & Garden Show, March 26-29, in the Kids’ Corner. For more information call Jon Edwards, Derby Director, at 913-634-1221 or 913-393-4889 or Tim Clemens, President, at 816-229-1626 or 816-517-6140.
• Ongoing: Kansas City Soap Box Derby. Visit the Kansas City Soap Box Derby Web site at www.kcsbd.org or the All American Soap Box Derby Web site at aasbd.org for more information.
• BVAC youth soccer league, for ages 3 years through 12th grade. Teams practice one night a week and games are played on Saturdays. Fee is $72 per person and includes a team shirt. Deadline has passed; call for availibility. Games begin on March 21. For more information, visit Web site at www.bvacsports.org or call 816-796-8702.
• Soccer kickarounds every Sunday, 7 p.m. at Blue Springs High School’s Peve Stadium. Call 808-4978 for more information or send e-mail to email@example.com.
• Ongoing: BSHS Soccer Alumni Association seeking former soccer players at Blue Springs High School to join in the year-round fun and giving. For more information, call Bob Rusert at 816-808-4978 or visit bshssocceralumni.org.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs High School Boys Soccer Booster Club will meet on second Thursday of each month at the high school. For more information, call Bernadette Lawson at 816-616-4531.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs High School Girls Soccer Booster Club meets the third Tuesday of every month at 6:30 p.m. in the Blue Springs High School library. For more information, contact Kathy Karst at 816-228-7458 or Janet Shelman at 816-229-5769.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Soccer Club. For more information, call 913-982-1240, visit the Web site (www.bluespringssoccerclub.org) or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ongoing: Soccer Association of Independence. Visit the Web site at www.saisoccer.org or call 456-9837.
• Ongoing: Soccer West. Visit www.soccerwestmo.com, send e-mail to email@example.com or call 816-229-4502.
• Ongoing: Oak Grove Soccer League. For information contact Bruce Forthofer at 816-898-7564 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Web site (www.oakgrovesoccer.org).
• Ongoing: BVAC Youth Soccer Leagues. For more information, call BVAC at 816-796-8702, visit the Web site (www.bvacsports.org) or send e-mail to email@example.com.
• Ongoing: Raytown Soccer Club. For more information, visit the Web site (www.raytownsoccerclub.org) or call 816-313-7721.
• Ongoing: Jackson County Parks and Recreation Soccer Field Rental Program. Requests for field rentals are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Cost is $20 per hour, per field for daily rental and $100 per field or $30 per team for tournament or league field rental. Nets, corner flags, field painting, etc., require additional fees. To reserve a field or for more information, call 816-795-8200, ext. 1-277 or 1-270.
• Ongoing: Jackson County Futsal Leagues. Futsal is FIFA’s official indoor soccer game, a scaled down version of outdoor soccer played indoors on a smaller field with a low-bounce ball that is weighted. For more information, visit the Web site (www.premierfutsal.com) or call Jim West at 816-522-7314.
• Tryouts, 14U KC Blues, seeking two players. Team will play league at Adair Park plus 5-6 tournaments. Contact Bob Colin at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a tryout.
• Ongoing: The Exceptionals, a summer youth softball program at Hidden Valley Park Softball Complex for boys and girls ages 5-20 physically or mentally unable to participate in other programs. Contact Laurie Munzuris at 816-522-6749 or Karin Windes at 816-217-8403 for more information or to volunteer.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Girls Softball Association. For more information, visit the Web site (bsgsa.net).
• Ongoing: Heart of America Senior Softball leagues, for women ages 40-70-plus, men ages 50-70-plus, and coed (women 40-plus and men 50-plus). To register or for more information, visit the Web site (www.hasskc.com), send e-mail to email@example.com or call 816-358-4277.
• Ongoing: KC Metro 50-Plus Softball League. For details or visit the Web site (www.kcseniorsoftball.com).
• Ongoing: Independence Adult Softball Association Adult Men’s and Coed Leagues. For more information, call Donnie Payne at 816-350-3758 or 816-212-0797.
Swimming & Diving
• Ongoing: Kansas City Dolphins, practices at Centennial Pool-Plex in Blue Springs and Blue Valley High School in Overland Park, Kan. Signups are ongoing throughout the year. Visit the Web site (www.teamdolphins.com) for more information.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs YMCA Swim Club, a non-competitive swim team, is available to children ages 6-18. Fundamentals of each stroke as well as personal development will be taught. Call the Blue Springs YMCA at 816-224-9620 for more details.
• Ongoing: Tsunami Swim Team at Blue Springs YMCA, Longview Recreation Center and William Jewell College. Signups are ongoing throughout the year. Call 816-224-WAVE (9283) or visit online (www.tsunamienterprises.com).
• Ongoing: KC Blazers swim team, at the Blue Springs YMCA and the Longview Recreation Center in Lee’s Summit. For more information, call 913-383-8342.
• Ongoing: Centennial Pool-Plex open swim hours. Admission is $5 per person for age 4 and older ($3.50 after 5 p.m.). Ages 3 and younger are free with a parent. Season memberships are also available. For dates and times of Lap Swim, Swimnastics, Therapeutic Swim, open swim hours or additional information, call 228-0137.
• Ongoing: Open play, JACOMO Table Tennis Club in Independence, Thursday evenings, 6-9 p.m. For more information, call Dave Baker at 816-229-2253 or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• United States Tennis Association Tennis Block Parties, May 9, noon to 2 p.m., at the Metro East Tennis Center in Blue Springs, and May 30, 10 a.m. to noon, at the Santa Fe Trail Park tennis complex in Independence. A free family event will be celebration of tennis as well as a chance for new players and players of all ages and abilities to come and learn about the sport and programs in the Kansas City area, while participating in several tennis-themed activities. Participants will have the opportunity to win prizes and showcase their tennis skills. For more information, contact the United States Tennis Association-Missouri Valley at 913-322-4826 or email@example.com. Other block parties also are scheduled for May 2 at First Serve in Lawrence, Kan., May 2 at the Clayview Country Club in Kansas City, and May 30 at the Jewish Community Center in Overland Park, Kan.
• United States Tennis Association is sponsoring summer camps at nine locations in the Midwest, including the University of Missouri, University of Kansas, Southwestern University in Winfield, Kan., Washington University in St. Louis, Mary Institute/Country Day School in St. Louis. Scholarships are available and cover the cost of the weeklong camp fee, including lodging for the participant. To learn more go to www.missourivalley.usta.com or call 913-322-4826.
• Ongoing: United States Tennis Association Jr. Team Tennis, for boys and girls ages 6-18 in leagues that emphasize fun, fitness and friends. Leagues match players of similar age and ability using the Junior National Tennis Rating Program (JNTRP). To learn more go to www.missourivalley.usta.com or call 913-322-4826.
• Ongoing: Independence Tennis Association: If you would like to know more about the ITA, contact Jody McClain at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ongoing: Blue Springs Youth Volleyball League. For more information, visit the Web site at www.eteamz.com/BSYVL.
• Ongoing: Fort Osage Youth Volleyball League, for girls in grades 4-7. Girls in Fort Osage and Independence school districts are eligible. Contact Lyn Adams at 816-650-6294.
• Ongoing: Independence Youth Wrestling program at the William Chrisman High School wrestling room. Ages 5-14 are eligible. Practices are on Mondays and Wednesdays. Tournaments are scheduled for Saturdays at area schools. Novice tournaments for first- and second-year wrestlers are Sundays. For more information, visit the Web site at www.independenceyouthwrestling.org or contact Chuck Rodgers at 816-254-3716 or Bill Jones at 816-305-2928.
• Ongoing: Youth Jaguar Wrestling Club, team practices at Blue Springs South High School. For more information, contact Doug Black at email@example.com or 816-582-6911.
• Ongoing: Predator Youth Wrestling Club of Eastern Jackson County seeks youth wrestlers ages 5-14. Practices are scheduled for Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the William Chrisman High School wrestling room. For more information on joining, please contact Dawn Taff at 816-650-3979 or Mike Gempeler at 816-525-1244 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Ongoing: Mat Rat Wrestling Club, practices at Lee’s Summit West, Richmond and University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg. Team is run by UCM assistant and former Raytown South High School head coach Alan Hull. Contact Alan Hull at 816-564-1847 or email@example.com for more information.
• Ongoing: Western Stars Youth Wrestling Club, for ages 4-15. For more information, contact Phil Howk at 816-841-9852 or visit www.westernstars.org.
• Ongoing: Fort Osage Mat Club. Children in kindergarten through eighth in the Fort Osage School District are eligible. Practices are 6-8 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday at the Fort Osage Multipurpose Building. For more information, Contact Jeff Cutbirth at 816-478-3994 or Bob Luke at 816-650-3516.
• Ongoing: Mo West Wrestling Club. For more information, contact Jason Heslop by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by calling 816-471-2499.
• Ongoing: Lee’s Summit Broncos Youth Wrestling Club. Call Bill Biggerstaff at 816-986-1499 ext. 8193 for more information. Additional registration info and practice schedule may be found at www.leesummit.k12.mo.us/lsnhs and click on athletics, wrestling and Kids Club.