David Magraw was having good run of luck by the time July 18 came around.

David Magraw was having good run of luck by the time July 18 came around.

Magraw, an Independence resident who is known around a few poker tables, was leaving Harrah’s Casino in Kansas City on that day after a good run. In his wallet was $963, the result  of a week’s worth of winnings.

Because of the differences in temperature, Magraw dressed in layers that day. As he walked out, he began peeling off his long shirt and his sweat pants as he approached his car.

“It’s really cold in casinos,” Magraw said.

When he got to his car, he opened the door and finished taking off his sweat pants. Once finished, he got in and drove off, leaving the parking garage in a pretty good mood.

When he got home, nearly 15 miles away, it hit him.

Where was his wallet?

“I knew immediately what had happened,” he said. “I couldn’t believe it. I have never lost my wallet in my life. Never.”

He sped back to the casino and checked in with security. Because the public is prohibited from viewing security tapes, Magraw convinced them to check them and tell him if they had seen anything, which they did eventually and reported back.

And, sure enough, there was his car on the camera footage, pulling out of the garage with his wallet on top.

“It had more than just the money in it, too,” he said. “It had everything, a lot of personal stuff.”

When Magraw turned onto the road, the wallet slipped off the roof of his car. A mere 10 minutes later, Gary and Sharon Shenk of Blue Springs came driving up to the parking garage. They noticed a wallet in the middle of the road.

“I thought it looked like a billfold,” Sharon said.

Up ahead of them, the Shenks saw a car full of kids, and they, too, were zeroing in on it.

“No way they were going to get it,” Sharon said. “I did a sharp u-turn and stopped the car, got out and picked it up.”

Gary laughed.

“They were yelling at us,” he said about the car full of kids. “He wouldn’t have gotten it back if they’d gotten it.”

The Shenks checked inside the wallet. Sharon was shocked.

“I knew there was a lot of money inside, but I didn’t count it,” he said. “It wasn’t mine.”

They checked the license and called their daughter who lives in Independence. She knew where Magraw’s street was, and the Shenks, who did go into the casino after finding the wallet but only for a little while, got in their car and drove over. While she scribbled a note and put it in Magraw’s mailbox, Magraw was at the casino trying to piece together what happened.

Magraw came home later that night, busted and upset.

The Shenks sat in their Blue Springs home, waiting for the call.

When he checked the mailbox the next afternoon, he couldn’t believe what he read.

“I told 40 people what happened, and they all said I’d never see it again,” Magraw said.

But he did. He drove over and knocked on the Shenks’ door and they returned his wallet. He offered them $100. They refused.

“I didn’t earn the money,” Gary said. “That kind of money isn’t going to make or break me. I feel better giving it back.”

It turns out the Shenks have had this happen to them at least four or five times. Gary once found a wallet with several gift cards inside. There was no license, but they were able to piece together an address by using a layaway receipt inside.

“We just find things,” Sharon said.

During their second meeting, on Monday, Magraw once again offered the Shenks $100.

And once again, they refused and said maybe they’d all meet again one day.