No. 1 was a no-brainer.

For the first and only time in my newspaper career, I was scared. The violence after a great high school boys basketball game will always stick in my mind.

Editor’s note: Retiring sports writer Dick Puhr is chronicling his top 10 memories of his 48 years at The Examiner over a 10-week period. Here is No. 1.

No. 1 was a no-brainer.
For the first and only time in my newspaper career, I was scared. The violence after a great high school boys basketball game will always stick in my mind.
On March 8, 1972, in the then Class L state quarterfinals at Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, Raytown South defeated Kansas City Central 52-50 on a goaltending call with two seconds remaining in overtime.
Central fans were so incensed with the call that they poured out of the stands. Metal folding chairs used by the players and tables were tossed into the Raytown South stands along with bottles and debris.
The press facilities were atop the stands. So, I was safe. Still, I was scared. I didn’t know what would happen next. I watched in amazement what transpired on the floor.
Twice the lights were turned off, forcing the Central fans to scatter.
Thirteen persons reportedly were injured, including the Maryville police chief and three of his officers during the violence that reached riot proportions.
There was damage to window in the main lobby of the gym, a cracked window in the Fine Arts Building across the street, a phone was ripped off the wall in the gym and several trash cans set afire. Reports that cars carrying some Raytown South fans after the game were shot at were never confirmed.
“It was a fantastic game,” Central coach Jack Bush said. “It was the best team I ever had. We should have never let them hold the ball the entire time in the overtime.”
For 32 of his 53 years on the bench, Bush coached at Central. The loss was one of the toughest for him to take during a brilliant career.
“What upset me was Maryville accused us of starting the fight,” Bush said recently. “We have no control who comes to the games.
South led 48-42 with 5:15 remaining. Central battled back for a 50-48 lead on Maurice Nixon’s driving hook with 1:36 remaining. Sixteen seconds later, South’s Ed Stoll tied the score on a layup, forcing the three-minute overtime.
Some Central fans began inching toward the court.
South controlled the tip in the overtime and stalled until feeding the ball to Stoll. He drove for a layup. With the ball still on the rim, Central’s Ed Benton was called for goaltending by veteran official Larry Zirbel. Considering the situation it was an extremely gutsy call.
“It was one of my biggest baskets and I was ready for the play,” Stoll said in a January, 2007 article in The Examiner. “It was rough game by both teams and one of the great wins of my career.”
Stoll, who is a real estate and tax attorney, went on to play at the University of Missouri.
Only two seconds remained. With one second to go, some Central fans swarmed the floor. After the floor was cleared, a desperation Central shot missed badly. Then came the disturbance.
I finally reached the South locker room, which was under the gym, about 45 minutes after the game had ended and after South and Central fans had been placed on buses.
“It still stands out,” retired South coach Bud Lathrop said of the game recently. “There were a lot of things going on. It was a turbulent time. What I remember about the game is two Kansas City schools playing at Maryville.
“Central was big and physical. In those days we had jump balls. Stoll got all 15 jump balls. Both teams played  their hearts out. It was a great game. To this day, Bush has never complained about the call.”
While Stoll hit the winning basket, John Harrison played a key role by hitting 9 of 11 shots on the way to scoring 20 points. He also had nine rebounds.
South went on to defeat St. Louis Sumner 85-75 as Stoll scored 41 points, and the Cardinals then topped unbeaten Kirkwood 52-48 for their second state title in the final state games played in Columbia’s Brewer Fieldhouse.